Another simple dinner meal for one of those busy work weeks. This one can be made the way you like it (i.e. meat containing, or having no meat – vegetarian).
Prep/ Cooking Time: Less than 30 minutes
- 1 brown onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive olive
- 2 cups diced mushroom
- 1 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 x 420g can lentils OR 500g turkey mince
- 1 tbsp Clive of India curry powder
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups arborio risotto rice
- 1-1.5L chicken/ vegetable stock
- Cracked pepper
- Parmesan, to garnish
- ~1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley or Basil, plus extra to garnish
- Fresh salad mix
- Steamed vegetables (i.e. broccoli & beans)
1. Heat oil & fry diced onion in a medium-sized saucepan for 5 minutes or until opaque.
2. Add in mushrooms & sautee for about 5 minutes or until soft. If using meat add in meat at this step and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat until browned.
3. Stir in the wine and curry powder, simmering for 5-10 minutes to allow alcohol to reduce.
4. Add in the tomatoes, strained lentils (if not using meat), & fresh herbs into a saucepan and stir to combine. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Add in the rice & stir to combine, allowing the rice to absorb some of the flavours of the herbs & spices.
6. Gradually add stock in, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all of the stock. Stir continuously throughout.
7. Garnish with cracked pepper & parmesan and serve your choice of sides.
Recipe developed by @dietitianrose